Windfall Industries offers vocational habilitation services to participants looking to build work skills and advance on the path to community employment. Windfall operates vocational habilitation at a variety of sites:
- MAP (Medina Assembly and Packaging) is our warehouse facility located in Wadsworth. Here, consumers complete paid work for customers. Types of work available include: product packaging, heat sealing, quality control (QC) tasks, and a variety of janitorial duties. From MAP, consumers are offered opportunities to work in small groups, at various community sites.
- Root Candles is located in Medina. Our participants are offered a variety of packaging and assembly tasks at the candle factory. Some people have been given opportunities to learn machine operation. We have even had people get hired as Root Candles employees! This program is not currently accepting new participants.
- The Rest Area program offers consumers the opportunity to learn the job of a rest area caretaker. Windfall operates this program at two locations on I-71, near Brunswick.
Adult Day Support
Our Adult Day Support (ADS) program aims to help consumers discover things they like to do and connect them with opportunities to participate in hobby activities in the community.
Located out of our MAP Facility, participants are encouraged to help plan community-based activities, based on individual interests. Windfall Industries has partnered with Soprema Senior Center and Wadsworth Library to offer monthly programming for the community including our monthly Craft and Puzzle Club and our Board Game Club. Additionally, we encourage participants to learn about volunteer opportunities and ways to give back to their community. Beginning in 2022, we became members of the Wadsworth Community Garden, growing vegetables and flowers in our plot at Bird Park. Windfall’s ADS programs operates around the individual goals of our participants, helping them explore new hobbies and connect with others that like to do similar things in the community. Some of our favorites are learning about local art, participating in crafting groups, and exploring local parks and recreation areas. Recently, one of our groups has taken an interest in space and aviation, which has led to some interesting local exploration!
Career Services is a division of Windfall Industries’ Community Services Department. Supports and services are offered through Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) and Medicaid waiver funding. Our Career Services Department aims to help consumers explore, find, and maintain gainful employment in their communities. Currently, we are serving a roster of over 30 people in a variety of support capacities. Some of the supports available through Windfall Industries’ Career Services Department include: job development, job coaching, career exploration, and individual employment supports.
Skill Building Opportunities
Windfall Industries began teaching various life skills classes in the fall of 2021. These classes are aimed at allowing our participants to learn more about the world around them and develop skills to advance them toward their goals. Some of the classes currently offered include:
- Sign Language Basics – this class consists of two, 8-week sessions, and is held in partnership with Soprema Senior Center. Classes are currently held in the fall and open to all Windfall participants, as well as senior citizens.
- Sewing Club – aims to help people learn to use a sewing machine. Currently, this class is only open to those in our ADS program.
- Money Club – Money Club consists of two, 6-week sessions, and one, 3-week session. We begin with money recognition and counting skills, and move through cash register operation! Stay tuned for the next Money Club session to begin.
- Cooking Club – Cooking club operates two monthly sessions, and enrollment opens every six months for ADS and Voc Hab participants. Stay tuned for our next Cooking Club session to begin.
Windfall also offers a variety of outings and recreational activities for our participants. Through the warm weather months, we host monthly Sports Nights. These events offer participants the opportunity to play various outdoor games and ends with our annual fishing trip to Hill and Dale Club! In the cold weather season, we switch to Movie Nights. Each month, participants get to pick a new movie to watch. We kick off our Movie Nights with a Windfall Dance Party.
For the public, Windfall hosts annual Halloween and Spring Fling dances at the Medina County Achievement Center. Everyone is welcome to join these events!
Non-Medical Transportation (NMT)
Windfall Industries operates NMT routes open to our day program participants, and those seeking transportation for community employment. Currently, we have 15 vans operating 12 different routes throughout Medina, Summit, and Wayne Counties. Our drivers complete training in CPR/First Aid, defensive driving, and a variety of topics related to being a direct support professional for individuals with developmental disabilities. We currently serve over 100 people and pride ourselves on providing safe and reliable, door-to-door transportation services. At this time, our community employment routes are only open in Medina County, and we are limited to weekday, daytime hours. We are hoping to expand our transportation availability in the future.
For more information about Windfall Services, please contact our Executive Director, Jim Brown, at 330-334-4491